Security lights are some of the most important features to install on your property, keeping you, your family and your company secure. Technology in this area is constantly advancing, and LED lights are becoming central to security lighting as time goes on. Find out more about the best-LED security light for you, and whether LED security lights are good enough to keep you protected.
Types of LED Security Lights
There are lots of different types of LED security lights you can consider installing, including:
These lights have their name because they flood an entire area with light. An LED floodlight is ideal for illuminating a large open space.
This refers to any light that you mount onto a wall. Wall-mounted lights refer to both lights that you mount on perimeter walls and those that you mount on the interior of a house.
Motion-activated lights refer to any lights that turn on when they detect movement, they are ideal for saving energy as they don’t need to be on constantly.
Solar-powered lights are lights that derive their power from solar panels. This specifically refers to lights that have solar panels attached to them.
Smart security lights
Security lights that are integrated with smart home systems, specifically referring to those with an internet connection are known as smart security lights.
Benefits of LED Security Lights
There are plenty of benefits to using LED bulbs for your security lights, such as:
- Energy efficiency: LED security lights are cheaper to run than alternatives due to the relatively low power consumption requirements that the lights have. Reports show that LED bulbs use at least 75% less energy than incandescent lighting alternatives, helping you to significantly cut down on your bills.
- Longevity and durability: LED bulbs are widely regarded for their longevity. A single bulb can last up to 50,000 hours, which is over five times more than a fluorescent bulb can achieve so you don’t need to worry about it cutting out. They are also durable, making them perfect for handling difficult weather conditions.
- Environmentally friendly: The lower energy usage of an LED bulb makes it ideal for protecting the environment, but other aspects help to support the environment too. An LED bulb requires fewer replacements, which takes less manufacturing and reduces emissions even further.
- Bright and consistent illumination: An LED bulb turns on immediately and doesn’t take time to reach its full brightness. After it reaches this brightness it retains it until being turned off, providing your property with constant light coverage without any unexpected interruptions.
- Reduced maintenance costs: Since you have to replace an LED security light less often, you will be spending less money on maintenance and replacements through the years.
Buying Guide for Outdoor Security Lights
So, what to look for when buying security lights? There are a few things to consider when you are looking to buy security lights, the first is the light itself. A good level of brightness is essential for properly lighting up an area, with higher power wattages used in these cases. Higher colour temperatures can also help, with whiter lights appearing more intimidating to an intruder.
Practicality is another major consideration. This involves having a good motion sensor that works at long ranges, with an easy installation process and good weather resistance (measured by IP rating). There is very little benefit to a security light that needs constant maintenance, so making the right decision at the start of the process is a must.
There are a few power options available for different properties to consider, including:
- Hardwired: Any systems that are directly wired into the property’s electrical systems. Ideal for a long-term security solution.
- Battery powered: A security light that runs on its own dedicated battery. Used in temporary structures with high-security requirements.
- Solar powered: Lights that run on their own solar panel and internal battery. Most useful in warm climates or through the summer.
Smart Security Lights and Integration
As technology continues to evolve, there are more and more opportunities to integrate smart solutions into security light solutions. Increasingly Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity means that security lights are becoming integrated into smart home systems, with users able to see what the light sees with mobile apps. More integrations with equipment such as security cameras provide a more comprehensive home protection system, guarding your property against all kinds of threats.
Ultimately, choosing the right LED security lights for your property and desired purposes is a must. Everyone’s home is unique, with different features and utilities, and by using a bespoke system adjusted to your requirements you can secure your property against all kinds of unique threats. Smart Lighting Industries specialises in LED security lighting for homes of all kinds and can help you to protect what really matters. Take a look at our range or get in touch with our team of lighting experts to find out more about your perfect security solution.
Take a look at some of our frequently asked questions to find out more about LED security lighting:
Can you replace LED bulbs in security lights and how to?
You can! Unscrew the fixtures that are holding the bulbs in place, place the replacement in its fixture and screw the new bulb in the right place.
Why is my LED security light flashing?
If the voltage in a security light changes it can lead to flickering and flashing.
What types of bulbs are best for outdoor security lights?
LED bulbs are the best for outdoor security lights by far, lasting a long time whilst taking up minimal energy and being bright enough to illuminate a large space.
Where should I fit my security light?
You should fit your security light in any part of your property that you might deem as being vulnerable to intruders, such as the front door of the property or by a conservatory.
Will security lights come with a warranty?
Whether or not you get a warranty with your security lights depends on where you get your security lights from. Any reliable store will offer you a warranty.
How bright should a security light be?
The security light should be at least 700 lumens, in order to illuminate a space without risking being too bright for your neighbours.